Thursday, March 8, 2007

Shut up

I don't want to hear it, so just shut up. Big deal. So Duke is out of the ACC tournament in the first round. This is not that big of a deal. Give me a break with all the unbelievable upset crap. If this NC State team beat last year's Duke team it would be an upset. But this Duke team is not that good and they're not playing good for even them right now in particular, so it is not that unexpected. Everybody just needs to cool down.

I've heard enough of the Duke has won 23 of 24 ACC Tournament games. Well, duh. It's only possible to get one loss per tournament. If you win a championship or two you're going to have a great tournament record.

So shut up. Duke's not a dominant team. Are you just now getting that? The rest of us knew it from the beginning, and we love them anyway. We love the fact that you all hate Duke, because the best program in the country for the last 25 years and possibly the best program over a 10-year period in HISTORY is bound to be hated. Thank you for confirming the fact that we are the best. Of all time.

Sit down. Shut up. And be thankful that you're not getting your ass handed to you by Duke this year. Because you will again soon.

Go Duke. Go Duke. Go Duke!!!


****Addendum****

As soon as I hit publish last night on this post, I thought, "Hmm...perhaps I should address the UCLA issue. Nah...I'll worry about it if anyone actually reads this." Well, awesomely enough, three people have, and three people have brought up UCLA.

UCLA is, of course, the one team that can lay claim to being as dominant or more than the Duke Blue Devils over a 10 year period. In fact, UCLA can lay claim to being the most dominant team over a 10 year period out of ANY team in ANY of the major sports.

I readily concede that Duke most likely comes in second place in this category. I would only ask that one considers the level of athleticism that is present and spread across so many teams makes domination that much more difficult now than it was then. And Duke plays in, arguably, a consistently stronger conference than UCLA did in the late 60's and 70's, making their regular season that much more exhausting and winning 7 of 9 conference championships that much more impressive.

Clearly, Duke has not had the success in the National Tournament that UCLA did, but then, no one ever will again, with the talent pool so widely diversified in modern times.

Go Duke.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Relax. You sound angry at your team right now. Nothing to be disapointed with. I question the best decade though. UCLA in the 70s? Sorry, man, but this Duke team is not the best decade team. Due your research. This is a no-brainer. Boy, though, you did say it. This Duke team is struggling (although Scheyer - did I spell that right? - is one heck of a player. Still, though, I believe 9-7 didn't get a certain team into the tournament last year. Wonder if you all would be making it this year at 8-8, with a first round knock out, if it weren't for the name on your jersey. Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

Ever heard of UCLA?

Anonymous said...

Best program over a 10-year period in history?!? Um, I think UCLA winning 7 or so straight NCAA titles trumps getting thumped in the sweet sixteen every year.

Kari said...

As a fellow Duke lover, I just have to say that we will defend our boys and praise the team above all others. That is what makes college basketball so great to participate in as fans (and I suppose any other sport, but I ask you what sport is better than ncaa hoops, really?). That being said, I love Paulus and how solid he has been as a leader and scorer. Whether or not he gets much attention beyond looking at Duke as a team, he deserve our praise. He is so athletic, level-headed yet passionate and the whole team looks to him - he obviously makes Coach K proud. And who else do I love? Can I just say Pocius? What a way to step up when we needed you, MP. And though I wish the camera would get off your mouth when you grab a foul, I love you too, Josh. When you get a chance to shine you don't let us down. Stay in school, Josh! And I could never over look John and DeMarcus, Lance and dreamy David but I fear my "comment" is becoming too long. In summary, we are out of the tourney, but we Duke fans are just all the more willing to support our team the way we can to help them have a stellar 07-08 season. WE LOVE YOU! GO DUKE!

Anonymous said...

Hey, NC State ended UCLA's run too.

How fun is that?